Sunday, January 29, 2012

Kids' Bathroom Redo

One of my most favorite projects in our home was decorating the kids' bathroom.  Unfortunately, there are no before pictures.  Just close your eyes and picture it ... a plain jane, builder grade, nothing fancy bathroom.

Four of my five children share this space so organization and function were key.  Since the majority of the house is rustic and decorated with muted, natural tones, it was fun to decorate "out-of-the-box" and get a little funky in this space.  

The first step was painting the upper 1/3 of the bathroom a funky green.  My hubby installed the bead board and trim in just a few hours.

Each child has a color assigned to them (this idea extends throughout our home) so I bought towels at Target that coordinated.  The shower curtain is from Walmart's online site which they shipped right to my local Walmart.


For the wall decor, I snapped pictures of my four babies that share this space having some bathroom fun.  I framed them in cheap dollar store frames and matted them in color coordinating scrapbook paper.

The "Rules of the Bathroom" was created using my Silhouette machine (you could also use alphabet stickers), scraps of scrapbook paper left over from other projects and my most favorite product ever invented ... Mod Podge.  The toothbrush holder is from IKEA.  Unfortunately, IKEA doesn't offer a huge selection in bin colors but for the price, I'm not complaining at all.


I used my Silhouette to dress up the soap and germ-x dispenser and help the kids know what is what.  The counter tops in this space aren't my favorite so overlook those.  Maybe one day we'll replace them ;)


In keeping with the color scheme, each child has their own loofah (in their color, of course).  Finding all four colors can present a challenge so when I did, I stocked up.

Last and certainly not least here is our method for keeping this new space clean and tidy.  We have a rotating cleaning schedule that is posted on the back of the bathroom door.  After printing out the calendar below, I highlighted every Friday (our bathroom cleaning day) with one of four colors to indicate which lucky child got to clean that week.  A step-by-step guide is also provided so there are no questions (or skipped corners) when it comes to keeping it clean.   


Luckily for my little munchkins, there are four of them and they only have to clean it once a month.  They moan and groan when it is their week, but seriously wouldn't you love to share bathroom cleaning duties with 3 other people?




7 comments:

  1. I love the bright colors! The photographs of your children are so cute too. I'm your newest follower. If you get a chance to stop over I've also been redecorating my munchkin's bathroom www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/01/sea-life-stool.html Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the blog! I love this post. You are such an incredible mom! I can't wait to read more and glean from you, O Wise One :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors! My boys all have an assigned color too...although they keep trying to change it up on me...annoying! :)
    You should join me for Handmade 52! http://www.raisingoranges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute. The colors and BRIGHT and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a fabulous job on the bathroom, I love it!!! I have searched Walmart's website 5 times for this shower curtain and can't find it anywhere.....might you have a link for it that you would be willing to share?

    Thanks a bunch!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for your sweet comment. I looked the shower curtain up in my order history. The link is http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catalina-Stripe-Shower-Curtain/10893915 However, it does say it is not available at this time. Hopefully, it is just a temporary backorder. The product name is Catalina Stripe Shower Curtain if you wanted to look for it elsewhere online.

      Delete
  6. Do you know the name and brand of the paint color?

    ReplyDelete